Chinese Broccoli & King Mushroom in Oysterless Sauce (serves about 4)
- 2 king mushrooms, sliced thin, caps removed
- 1 bunch Chinese broccoli, chopped, stems and leaves separated
- Cooking oil
- 1/2 C oysterless sauce
- splash of sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
2. Add the Chinese broccoli stems, oysterless sauce, and splash sesame oil. Cook for a few minutes, add a bit of water to soften the stems if needed.
3. When stems are nearly cooked through, add the leaves of the Chinese broccoli and the garlic. Stir frequently, adding more sauce if necessary.
4. Serve over rice or noodles if desired.
Kitchen Notes: Thin sliced king mushrooms cook quickly and they don't reduce as quickly as shiitakes, portabella, or other common mushrooms. Add the garlic earlier if desired--I like mine fairly raw tasting in this dish.
Verdict? A very tasty quick, easy meal. The veggie oyster sauce has a nice smoky aroma and flavor with a lot of earthiness to it. The king mushrooms have a satisfying texture and the Chinese broccoli a lot of pleasant, mustardy/bitter flavor. I made the mistake of serving over quinoa the first time, since I already had some made, and it was too bitter with the bitter broccoli. Plain rice would be great, and served over noodles was yummy. Enjoy!