Friday, November 18, 2011

Jicama & Carrot Slaw with Orange-Cilantro Vinaigrette

 I used to make a carrot-cilantro slaw from the Moosewood New Classics Cookbook. This recipe is inspired by this. I developed it last week when I had a carrot in need of use. It also gave me the opportunity to use the julienne slicer that I pick up at Schnucks on clearance for $1.54 and my glove that prevents me from slicing my fingers off. Yay!



While prepping this salad, I listening to the Norwegian electronic band, Flunk.

Here's my handy new peeler:



Jicama & Carrot Slaw with Orange-Cilantro Vinaigrette (serves 4 as a side)
  • 1 carrot, julienned
  • 1/2 jicama, cut into matchsticks
  • 1 green onion, minced
  • juice of half an orange (about 2-3 Tbsp)
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 3 Tbsp cilantro, minced
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • salt to taste 
1. In a medium bowl, mix the carrot, jicama, and green onion, set aside. In a liquid measuring cup, or other sturdy glass container, combine the juice, olive oil, vinegar, cilantro, cayenne, and salt. Mix thoroughly, then pour over the vegetables and toss, gently. Best if served immediately, keeps for 2-3 days in the fridge.


Kitchen Notes:  My personal preference in this is white vinegar, which I know most folks think has no culinary value, I used cider vinegar because that's what I had.




Verdict? Great crunch, great flavors. Very clean, zesty and fresh. I like a bit more acidity in my salads, so next time I may reduce the amount of orange juice and supplement with lime. I can't believe I haven't used jicama more often.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment