Sunday, November 6, 2011

Dijon Chipotle Chick'n

Hello! Life has been busy this week, so I haven't been able to post much--I've got several back-logged recipes I've been eager to post! This recipe, Dijon Chipotle Chick'n, marks the sad conclusion of recipes featuring chipotle sour cream (see: zucchini pancakessmoky lentil soup, and a reference to it in roasted vegetable omelet).



When I travel, I like to buy the magazine Food and Wine. I wind up dog-earing about 50% of the pages for recipes and ideas to try. A great cold weather recipe I stumbled upon was Chicken Dijon, which called for sour cream, since I had almost precisely the amount of chipotle sour cream left, I figured it was kismet. I made a few adaptations based on what I had, as well as adjusting some of the cooking since I used Quorn veggie chicken rather than the real stuff.

You may remember that I'm currently loving my new speakers in my kitchen. Since I made this to complement my shallot smashed potatoes, I was still listening to Decemberists, Picaresque. 

Dijon Chipotle Chick'n (serves 4)
  • 1 tsp coriander seeds, ground
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 4 Quorn chicken filets (or your favorite veggie chicken brand)
  • salt & pepper
  • 1/3 C onion, finely chopped
  • 2 C faux chicken broth or veggie broth
  • 2 Tbsp whole grain mustard 
  • 4 Tbsp chipotle sour cream
1. Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat, add the coriander seeds and cook til fragrant, gently shaking the pan, about 2 mins. Remove the coriander seeds, and when cool, crush with a mortar and pestle.
2. In the same skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Generously season the chick'n filets with salt and pepper. When the oil is very hot, add the filets and cook, turning frequently, until nicely browned, about 12 mins. 
3. Add the onion and cook until just softened, about 3 mins, add garlic and cook an additional min. Pour in the broth and coriander and bring to a boil, monitoring the temperature to prevent scorching. Reduce to med-low heat and cook for about 10 mins, or until sauce is thickened.
4. Remove the chick'n from the skillet and keep warm. In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard and chipotle sour cream. Add to the sauce on the skillet, and cook on medium heat for about 5 mins, til thickened. Return the chick'n to the skillet and coat thoroughly. Serve immediately. 








Kitchen Notes: If using proper chicken, the original recipe called for 8 drumsticks. You will need to adjust the cooking time to safely ensure the doneness of chicken, the original recipe can be found here. I find that the mortar and pestle is more effective at breaking down the coriander than a spice grinder is. I used Maille whole grain mustard (no I don't speak French).

Verdict? I thought this was super tasty. If you read my blog frequently, you'll be aware of my current obsession for chipotle sour cream, and I think it elevates this meal. I was concerned about the blending of the chipotle with the grainy mustard, but it was awesome. This has a smoky sweetness, and reheats beautifully. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment