Sunday, December 4, 2011

Berry Chocolate Turnovers

I'm making these for a Christmas party that I'm hosting. Due to time constraints and a tiny kitchen, I don't want to mess with a lot of ingredients, but I still want to feed my guests, so I thought up this recipe. it's a five ingredient dessert.



In August, I declared a moratorium on puff pastry when I made Apple Turnover Squares, but it's time to lift the ban. It's been a long time since I sang the praises of puff pastry, so I figure I owe it one.

With this recipe, I baked a few as test pastry and I've prepared and frozen the others to be baked next Saturday. This recipe makes a bit more chocolate than you'll need, so have a plan for the extra.

Since it 'tis the season, I listened to Pandora's Indie Holiday station.

Berry Chocolate Turnovers (makes about 8 mini-Turnovers)
  • 1 package puff pastry sheets, thawed (I used Pepperidge Farm)
  • 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 Tbsp milk
  • good quality berry preserves 
1. Preheat the oven to 400. Roll out the thawed puff pastry, 1 sheet at a time, on a non-stick surface. If it's a rectangular sheet of pastry, lay it so that the long way is left-to-right.  
2. In a double boiler, or in a small saucepan set into a saucepan of boiling water, melt together the chocolate, vanilla extract and milk over medium heat and stir until smooth. When all the chocolate mixture is melted, reduce heat to low and continue to stir occasionally.
3. Cut the puff pastry into 4 2in strips (for a 9 x 9 in sheet of pastry--You'll have a thin strip leftover, be sure to save it to fill in any oozing filling)
4. On each strip, smear a small amount (1/2 tsp) preserves in the center of the bottom of the strip, smearing about 1/4 way up the strip, taking care to avoid the edges.
5. Spoon about 1 scant tsp chocolate mixture in the same pattern as the preserves. 
6. Fold each strip into triangles, pinching around the edges to seal. 
7. Place each triangle on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 15-20 mins or until golden brown. Serve hot or at room temperature. 

Kitchen Notes: Because this recipe uses so few ingredients, it's important to use decent quality chocolate chips and preserves. I used  3 berry preserve that featured black currants, raspberries and strawberries. If you don't have a double boiler, a small saucepan set into a slightly larger saucepan with boiling water works fine, however, be careful not to 1) splash yourself with the hot water; 2) allow the water to splash in the smaller pan as it will seize your chocolate. This recipe benefits from some photo explanation, so please see below:
                                                                Adding the filling...

                                                               Making triangles...

                                                                          Keep going!

Verdict? Great as a quickie dessert. I love that these are tiny. Since they are very rich, a mini-turnover is the perfect size. Have fun experimenting with different flavors.




2 comments:

  1. What a super fun dessert! You can't go wrong with berries, chocolate and puff pastry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, berries and chocolate in one recipe - you have me with this one. It's a keeper for sure!

    ReplyDelete