Friday, December 2, 2011

Quadruple Onion Holiday Dressing

Disclaimer: Leeks are not technically onions, but they are close relatives. Please allow me poetic license on this one. 



So, here's my last Thanksgiving post, more than a week after the holiday. Fashionably late I suppose. To recap, the Thanksgiving recipes that graced my table and were posted are:  shallot mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy, port cranberry sauce, sweet potato & pecan pie, and chive scones.

I like my Thanksgiving dressing fairly basic. I don't really care much for fruit in my dressings. I've been making this one for a few years now, adapting it a bit each year. It's adapted from The Veggie Table, and they've adapted it from the cookbook The New Vegetarian Epicure. I love how recipes adapt over time.

What did I listen to? Thanksgiving is a bit of a blur, I forgot to document! Oops.

Vegetarian Bread Dressing (serves 8-10)
  • 3/4 C butter
  • 1 C onion, diced
  • 2/3 C leeks, thinly sliced
  • 1/3 C shallot, diced
  • 1 C celery, chopped
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 3 tsp sage
  • 3tsp thyme
  • 1 tsp marjoram
  • 1 tsp rosemary
  • 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 medium loaf sourdough, torn into cubes about 1/2 in
  • 1/2 C parsley, minced
  • 1 1/2 C walnuts, lightly toasted
  • 2 C vegetable broth
  • 1/2 C fried onions
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Melt butter over medium high heat. Add the shallots and leeks and saute for about 5 mins. Add the onion, and saute til translucent, about 5-7 more mins. Add the celery, and saute 5 mins more. 
2. Add the salt & pepper to taste, the sage, thyme, marjoram, rosemary and vinegar. Stir well and remove from heat. 
3. In a large casserole dish or roasting pan, add the bread and walnuts and mix together. Pour over the onion mixture and mix well. Drizzle 1 C broth and mix in the parsley.
4. Cover and bake for 45 mins. Check on the dressing every 15 min, adding 1/4 broth each time if needed.
5. After 45 mins, remove cover and sprinkle on the fried onions. Bake for 5 more mins. 


Kitchen Notes: Use stale bread cubes if possible. When reheating, drizzle a bit of broth and to reconstitute a bit.


Verdict? Simple and tasty. Very herbal. Due to the sourdough, this dressing has a pleasant, chewy consistency. Not appropriate for folks who don't care for onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment