Wednesday I ate:
- veggie burrito
- winter minestrone
- coconut cookie**
- salt & vinegar chips
- Gardein strips
- Chipotle casserole
- to drink: coffee, tea, coke, water
- 1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 qt veggie broth
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 1/2 C corn kernels
- juice of 3 limes
- zest of 1 lime
- 3 chipotles in adobo, chopped
- 1/3 C cilantro, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- chopped avocados
- tortilla chips
2. Add the cumin, chili powder, oregano and garlic powder and stir constantly for 1 min. Add the veggie broth and tomatoes, and bring, covered, to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to a simmer, add pinto beans, corn, lime juice, lime zest and chipotle. Simmer covered for 30-45 mins.
4. Add the cilantro, salt and pepper to taste, cook for 5 more mins.
5. Serve immediately, and add diced avocado and tortilla chips to the bowl.
Kitchen Notes: I'd prefer this to be a heartier soup, so add additional fixin's as desired. I am a fiend for cumin, so that's why there is so much in this dish. I used Food Should Taste Good lime-flavored tortilla chips and I highly recommend using a chip with a lime flavor.
Verdict? As mentioned above, I'd love for this to be a bit heartier, maybe some rice and additional beans. This is a nicely seasoned soup and very warming on a cold day. I think the tortilla chips are fun. I'd also like to try this spooned over polenta rounds.
And, for your viewing pleasure, since I don't have any more pictures of soup, my cat Issa, doing her best impression of a 12-pack: