Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Grilled Nectarines with Blueberry Sauce

What to do with all of that leftover blueberry sauce? I bought some beautiful nectarines at the Urbana Farmer's Market, and had always wanted to try grilled peaches. Yes, I know that nectarines aren't peaches, but we'll just pretend they are. This recipe comes from captain smugface, Bobby Flay from the Food Network, with modifications made by me. When I made this sauce, my husband proclaimed, "Clare, you are a freakin' genius".

                                                               Make this immediately!


Grilled Nectarines with Blueberry Sauce:
  • 3 almost ripe nectarines (I used a mix of yellow and white)
  • 3-4 Tbs butter
  • 1/4 C sugar (recipe called for brown, I was out)
  • 1/4 C vanilla rum
  • 3 pods cardamom
  • 1/2 tsp cinammon
  • 1/3 C blueberry sauce 
1. Cut the nectarines into eights
2. Place on skewers
3. Combine butter, sugar, rum, cardamom and cinnamon in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, get nice and foamy, cook for 5 mins.
4. Pour some of the sauce on the nectarines
5. On oiled grill on high heat, grill the nectarines til slightly brown, basting with extra sauce.
6. Serve with blueberry sauce and vanilla ice cream.  


                                    Almost a shame to grill them....so yummy by themselves


Verdict? Make this immediately. This was freakin' delicious, and as far as desserts go, relatively nutritious. Seriously yummy. I'm already thinking about modifications: amaretto instead of rum with toasted almonds on top, malibu instead of rum with shredded coconut, or honey instead of sugar with cloves. I'm also thinking about adding ginger or cayenne. 

No comments:

Post a Comment