Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Quinoa Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette

This past weekend, in St. Louis, my husband and I stumbled upon a fantastic little place in St. Louis, La Dolce Via. I had the spinach torta with a side of field greens with a rocking lemon vinaigrette. I felt compelled to try at home.

If you've never had a quinoa salad, try one now. Yum. A beautiful alternative to traditional tabbouleh & pasta salads. The inspiration again, comes from one of my favorite food bloggers, Kevin of Closet Cooking, with the recipe by me. 

Quinoa Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette (serves 4-6)
For the Vinaigrette:
  • 1/3 C extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 C red wine vinegar
  • juice & zest of 1-2 lemons
  • 2 cloves garlic, very finely minced
  • salt 
  • pepper
  • large handful of dill, chopped
1.   Mix ingredients 

For the Salad
  • 1 C quinoa, uncooked
  • small tomato, diced
  • small zucchini, cut into small wedges
  • 1/4 C red onion, finely diced
  • 1/4 feta crumbled
1. Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer. Bring quinoa, 1 1/2 C water, and a pinch of salt to a boil. Cover, and cook for 15 mins. Remove from heat, fluff, and let it remain covered for 10 mins. Let cool.
2. Mix together quinoa, veggies, feta & vinaigrette. Serve cool or at room temperature. 


Verdict? Hooray! I love, love, the texture of quinoa, and I love, love, the fresh flavor of lemon. Makes an ideal lunch.  

No comments:

Post a Comment