Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Zucchini & Goat Cheese Tart

My goal was a meal that could be served at room temperature, because it continues to be flippin' hot here. Though, my brilliant self didn't consider the fact that the oven still needed to be on to make this. I hadn't worked with puff pastry before, but after using philo dough, puff pastry is a piece of cake (no pun intended)

I made this for a friend who wouldn't mind being a guinea pig for my culinary experiments. This recipe was inspired by Closet Cooking's zucchini tart, with this recipe by me:

          It looks so pretty! Sadly, the zukes deconstructed as soon as I took a pizza cutter to this baby

Zucchini Goat Cheese Tart
  • 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
  • 8 oz goat cheese
  • 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 C sundried tomatoes, chopped 
  • 3 Tbs fresh oregano, chopped
  • 1-2 tsp herbs de Provence
  • 1 med zucchini, sliced very thin
  • salt
  • pepper
  • olive oil
  • garlic powder
1. For the goat cheese mixture (make the night before if possible): place the goat cheese in the mixer on low speed, until fluffy. Gradually add the garlic, sundried tomatoes, oregano, and herbs de Provence. Increase speed to medium. Continue until well mixed. 
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Unfold the puff pastry. With a knife, score the perimeter of the puff pastry, approximately 1 inch from the edge, be careful not to cut through the pastry.
3. Spread the goat cheese mixture on the puff pastry, about 1/4 in thickness, omitting the inch around the perimeter. 
4. Carefully place the zucchini slices across the goat cheese mixture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5. Mix together a bit of olive oil and garlic powder, brush across the edges of the puff pastry.
6. Bake in 400 degree oven for 15-20 mins or until golden brown. 
My kitchen aid is working over time
 
                                                 Before the zukes make their appearance

                                        
  I became convinced that the puff pastry would crack, or fall, or burn, so I felt the need to take a picture before the trip to the oven

Kitchen Notes: I used Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry, which is available at most supermarkets. It was recommended to me by someone who is ingenious at making desserts. I found the easiest way to put the goat cheese on the puff pastry was to pat it down with very clean hands. When I made this, I actually used way too much goat cheese, so I reduced this recipe to a more reasonable level. I've got big plans for the leftover filling, though.


Verdict? Good stuff. Very elegant looking, very simple. I definitely need to tweak the seasonings somehow for my liking, but I'll be making this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment